Thursday, June 9, 2011

Live Exports

May 30th saw the airing of horrific footage on ABC's 4Corners program, gathered by Animals Australia and RSPCA Australia in Indonesian slaughter houses.

Having always been a lover of all living things I found this gutwrenching to watch, but I sat through it because it occurred to me that the very fact I was didn't want to see the images was telling me something.   

It's now June 8th, and we have a temporary suspension of live export of cattle to Indonesia.  Australia's response to this issue has been amazing. I am very hopeful that the government will put an end to this cruel trade permanently, and that we, the Australian people, continue to use our voices to speak out about other issues.  I feel very much for the Cattle farmers (whom generally speaking, care very greatly for their animals), and believe there's a serious case for the MLA, whom had a duty of care to ensure the humane treatment of these animals, to take a very large share of the burden that the winding up of this trade may place on the farmers.  

This particular issue has had a profound effect on me, and I felt inspired to produce some form of visual response. The lens does indeed go both ways, the images we create show as much about ourselves as they do about what's on the other side of the lens.

As people who know my work, you'd be aware that my photography rests more on the "positive" side of life, I love photographing joy, beauty and love.  I've decided to respond to this issue in this vein of positivity.  I was fortunate enough to spend a little bit of time earlier in the week with a friends cattle.
 I decided to shoot some portraits of these girls as they gathered around me, wondering who I was and what I was doing sitting in their paddock.

The text on the images are quotes from significant philosophical, popular and spiritual leaders in relation to animal welfare, that I found particularly poignant.

I hope you enjoy the images, and take time to think about the significance of animals in your life, and how if possible, you can give something back to them, even if it's just the promise to protect them against cruelty.

Animals Australia is holding a National Week of Action THIS WEEK! In anticipation of Parliaments return on the 20th June - please show your concern and let your local MP know you're behind the bills that are to be presented by Independents Andrew Wilkie (MP) & Nick Xenophon, and the Greens.




















if you have men who will exclude any of god's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. ~St. Francis of Assisi

Lets bring the cows home!

Learn more and show your support via these links:
http://www.banliveexport.com/
http://www.animalsaustralia.org/
http://www.rspca.org.au/

3 comments:

  1. Good on you Kate. I didn't see the full program however saw a short commercial and that was distressing enough for me. I've signed the petition and am encouraging friends and family to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning photos Kate, is it okay to share this link?

    ReplyDelete